Welcome!

You are invited to read Marcus of Abderus and the Inn at the Edge of the World, a fantasy adventure novel available at Barnes and Noble Online.

Monday, July 5, 2010

I am an ebook reader-

I downloaded the Barnes and Nobles ebook reader last week, and began reading Dracula, by Bram Stoker. It is a free book I got with the reader. I have also downloaded about a half dozen free ebooks from B&N, offered on their website. I plan to buy my Nook as soon as I have a little spare cash. The price has dropped into the range I consider plausible for sustained ebook reading.

The biggest selling point for me was not the convenience of online shopping, or the nearly instant access to a great many books. It was the convenience of carrying a huge library in an object about the size of my hand. Additionally, I can do my reading on my Netbook computer. I am currently reading there, since I don't yet have my Nook. Indeed, I can read my books on any computer onto which the B&N reader has been loaded.

My most recent reading has been Stephen King's Under the Dome. I got it for Christmas, along with several other books. The book is a huge hardback. I would have thought little of the burden of carrying and holding such a massive lump of paper even weeks ago. Now it seems barbaric and backward to read in such a mode. The Nook would be so much more convenient. I am anxious to go ebook as much as 80% of the time. 100% is not reasonable, at least not yet. This is a transition period.

Even paperbacks have drawbacks. Several I have read have fonts too small. I can adjust the fonts on an ebook reader. Several had margins too small, and I had to bend the book back inconveniently in order to read. Ebook readers have flat screens, which are very much like paper as far as the reading goes. Nothing to fold back at all.

Why Barnes and Nobles? Why Nook? Well, B&N stores offer a free reading feature in stores, and I have always found their stores rather comfortable. The Nook, the B&N exclusive ereader, is comfortable to hold, easy to use, and my daughter has one I have had a chance to try out. Long battery life and ease of use sells the reader as an addition to my toolkit. Otherwise it would be cheaper to just read on my Netbook computer.

From this day forth I will opt for ebooks whenever possible. It is not always the proper format, but for most reading it is a very good option. Under the Dome will probably be donated once I am done. Big. Heavy. So yesterday. Yep. Ebooks.

1 comment:

pam said...

I love my Kindle! I had to switch to a regular book after using my Kindle for months and months and it felt so weird.