Welcome!

You are invited to read Marcus of Abderus and the Inn at the Edge of the World, a fantasy adventure novel available at Barnes and Noble Online.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Blogging Zelda: Introductions

Blogging Zelda: Introductions

Playing video games can be like reading a story in which you have a degree of participation. Writing about playing a video game takes it to a whole new level. Blogging Zelda is a site worth a visit. Just follow the link in the title.

I have only played through two Zelda games; The Wind Waker, and The Minish Cap. I have played a bit of some of the others, but haven't completed them.

My current game is World of Warcraft. I find playing a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (the class, or type of game this is) a bit more like writing a story, than reading one. A different experience from playing a stand-alone game, which may be less linear than a book, but more story driven than a MMORPG.

The difference between reading and gaming is participation. In games you participate, you take actions. In books you proceed throught a more linear experience. However, in either experience, a story unfolds. There are plots, and sub-plots. Exercise for the mind, and for the imagination.

Is one medium better than the other? Not in my opinion. I believe that both have enriched my life. Provided I am not taking time from other valuable aspects of living, reading and gaming enhance my life.

To be quite honest, I think I have opened a line of thinking here that will occupy me for quite some time. I will have to form some questions worth examining relating to reading, gaming, and the other aspects of human life.

This could prove interesting.

No comments: