Welcome!

You are invited to read Marcus of Abderus and the Inn at the Edge of the World, a fantasy adventure novel available at Barnes and Noble Online.

Monday, July 2, 2007

Writing and Depression

In the not too distant past I came to grips with the fact that I am a depressive. Not manic-depressive, nor even a clinically depressed person. Just someone given to depression. It colors one's life, and affects those you love and those you work with.

Now the correctional field is full of elements that can adversely affect a depressive. So it did with me. However, a bit of counseling and some adjustments to my life have aided me in correcting the condition. It is a condition that has to be managed; it cannot be cured.

Part of this management has been just "doing things." Depressives will be inclined to withdraw from life. Fewer and fewer things seem worth doing. Part of the treatment is to get out and do things. Accomplish things. What they are is not so important as the doing.

From the perspective of a depressive, it doesn't make sense. However, I was determined to get better. I started walking for exercise. I also started studying new things. I began preparing for my retirement. I also returned to my writing.

Do I have bad days? Yes. The difference is that now I know I need to do something when the day is bad. Walk. Learn. Write.

If you have found this site, and come to enjoy my little tales, I will be delighted. That, however, is just a bonus. For me, just the doing is a good thing.

Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoy my little tales as much as I enjoy writing them.

No comments: